Nassau County will be spraying to control the mosquito problem tonight from 8 p.m. and 4 a.m.
The Nassau County Departments of Health and Public Works recommended that localized treatment of adulticide be sprayed in targeted areas to try to cut down on the mosquito population and reduce the risk of West Nile. Trucks will come by between the hours of 8 p.m. and 4 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 14 to spray sections of New Cassel, Westbury, and Salisbury. These areas include:
- South of Maple, Union, Prospect Avenues and Old County Road
- East of Post Avenue/Merrick Avenue
- West of Bond Street and Carmen Avenue
- South of Old Country Road
- East of Carmen Avenue
- West of Jerusalem Avenue
While the chance of experiencing any health effects from the use of the insecticide is low, residents can minimize exposure by staying inside during treatment hours as well as:
- Keeping windows and doors shut, setting air conditioners to re-circulate if able. Turn window fans off.
- Keeping children’s toys indoors.
- Keeping pets indoors, as well as their food, water dishes and toys.
- Covering fishponds during the spray period.
For more information visit http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agencies/Health/index.html